Are you contemplating the idea of a workation near Bangalore? Well, you’re in the right place.
I’ve been traveling across the glorious landscapes of India for more than 4 years now. During this journey, I’ve had the pleasure of taking a couple of workations in places easily accessible from Bangalore.
So, trust me when I say the area surrounding this tech city is a goldmine for digital nomads or remote workers like you and me.
10 Best Destinations for Workations Near Bangalore:
1. Coorg (Kodagu)
Miss out on this post, and you’ll miss out on key insights that could transform a regular workation into an extraordinary experience.
In the sections that follow, I’ll deep-dive into each destination. For every spot, I’ll cover:
- Why it’s a fabulous choice for a workation
- How far it is from Bangalore and the best ways to get there
- Accommodation tips for budget, mid-range, and luxury travelers
- Cafés or coworking spaces ideal for remote work
- Must-see attractions and hidden gems
And, that’s not all. Toward the end, you’ll also find some of my top workation tips, but let’s start with the benefits of choosing a workation spot near Bangalore.
Planning a trip to India at some point? Check out my free ebook to help you save time and money, and avoid headaches. After +4 years in India, I’ve made plenty of mistakes, and this guide shares what I’ve learned so you can have a smoother trip.
Benefits of Choosing a Workation Near Bangalore
Firstly, the geographical advantage cannot be overstated. Whether you are planning a quick weekend retreat or an extended week-long workation, the destinations around Bangalore offer the ease of short travel times. This means less time commuting and more time enjoying and working in a new setting.
The locations around Bangalore are incredibly diverse, giving you an array of choices to suit your workation style.
- If you’re a mountain person, places like Coorg and Ooty offer cool temperatures ideal for focus and relaxation.
- If you’d rather listen to the sounds of waves while you work, then a place like Gokarna would be your haven.
When it comes to budget, closer destinations often mean lesser travel costs. This gives you the flexibility to perhaps splurge a little on your stay or enjoy some extra activities, making your workation all the more enjoyable.
Let’s face it, no workation is successful without reliable internet. The good news is that most of the destinations near Bangalore understand this need and offer strong Wi-Fi connectivity. Whether you’re in a café in Pondicherry or a guesthouse in Mysore, you’ll likely find the internet strength you need to stay productive.
Beyond work, these destinations offer a myriad of leisure activities. You can explore the historic ruins in Hampi, immerse yourself in the French culture in Pondicherry, or sip on some of the finest coffees in the plantations of Chikmagalur. Each place offers its own unique attractions and hidden gems that you can explore during your downtime.
So, if you’re craving a change of scenery without wanting to stray too far from Bangalore, these nearby workation spots offer a perfect blend of productivity and leisure.
Read more: Best Workations in South India
10 Best Workations Near Bangalore
Known as the Scotland of India, Coorg is a hill station that offers lush green landscapes, tranquil waterfalls, and a serene environment perfect for a workation. The misty mornings and the sound of birds make for an inspiring start to the workday.
Distance from Bangalore: Approximately 270 km
How to Reach: The most convenient way to reach Coorg is by road. You can either drive yourself or take a bus from Bangalore. KSRTC operates several buses to Coorg.
- Budget: Zostel Coorg offers a comfortable stay with reliable Wi-Fi.
- Mid-range: The Yellow Bamboo Resort is perfect if you’re looking for a balance between luxury and affordability, with good internet connectivity.
- Luxury: The Tamara Coorg provides top-notch amenities, including high-speed Wi-Fi.
Café/Coworking Spaces: ‘Beans N Brews Café’ offers strong Wi-Fi and an excellent working environment.
Must-see Attractions: The Abbey Falls and Dubare Elephant Camp are perfect spots to unwind and take a break from work.
Hidden Gems: The Chettalli village offers an unexplored landscape of Coorg and is a must-visit if you want to experience the serene side of the region.
Often referred to as the Cultural Capital of Karnataka, Mysore offers a harmonious blend of tradition and modernity. My girlfriend went here for yoga and was captivated by the regal architecture and the vibrant markets.
Distance from Bangalore: Approximately 143 km
How to Reach: You can either take a train to Mysore Railway Station or take a KSRTC bus from Bangalore. The journey is around 3-4 hours.
- Budget: Mysore Backpackers has decent Wi-Fi and is cost-effective.
- Mid-range: Country Inn & Suites by Radisson offers reliable Wi-Fi and comfortable amenities.
- Luxury: The Windflower Resorts & Spa is perfect for those who want top-tier facilities along with robust internet connectivity.
Café/Coworking Spaces: The Old House café offers a quiet ambiance and strong Wi-Fi, perfect for a work session.
Must-see Attractions: Don’t miss the Mysore Palace, especially during the evening light show.
Hidden Gems: The Devraj Market is a local treasure for fresh produce and handmade crafts, ideal for a quick stroll during a work break.
Known for its tea plantations and scenic hills, Ooty is another perfect workation destination. The cool climate makes working outdoors an absolute pleasure.
Distance from Bangalore: Approximately 270 km
How to Reach: The nearest railway station is Mettupalayam, from where you can take the heritage toy train to Ooty. Alternatively, you can drive or take a bus.
- Budget: Zostel Ooty offers basic amenities with reliable Wi-Fi.
- Mid-range: Sinclairs Retreat offers a good balance between cost and comfort, along with dependable internet access.
- Luxury: Savoy, Ooty – IHCL SeleQtions provides high-quality service and strong Wi-Fi connectivity.
Café/Coworking Spaces: Willy’s Coffee Pub is an excellent spot with strong Wi-Fi and a tranquil atmosphere.
Must-see Attractions: The Botanical Gardens and Ooty Lake are perfect places for a peaceful retreat during work breaks.
Hidden Gems: Doddabetta Peak is less crowded and offers panoramic views of the surrounding hills.
Known for its stunning archaeological ruins, Hampi is not just a tourist spot but also an ideal workation destination for history buffs.
Distance from Bangalore: Approximately 350 km
How to Reach: The nearest railway station is Hospet, about 13 km from Hampi. KSRTC buses also operate from Bangalore to Hampi.
- Budget: GoMowgli Hostel is economical and offers decent Wi-Fi.
- Mid-range: Clarks Inn has reliable internet and good amenities.
- : Evolve Back Kamalapura Palace provides a luxurious stay with excellent Wi-Fi connectivity.
Café/Coworking Spaces: Mango Tree offers a riverside view, strong Wi-Fi, and a peaceful working environment.
Must-see Attractions: The Virupaksha Temple and Vithala Temple are must-visits.
Hidden Gems: Anegundi Village is often overlooked but offers a glimpse into the laid-back rural life.
A former French colony, Pondicherry offers a mix of French and Indian cultures. I remember sipping on French coffee during my morning work breaks and walking along the cobblestone streets. The town’s tranquil vibes make it ideal for focusing on work.
Distance from Bangalore: Approximately 310 km
How to Reach: Direct buses are available from Bangalore to Pondicherry. You can also take a train to Villupuram Railway Station and then a taxi to Pondicherry.
- Budget: Micasa Hostel has simple amenities and consistent Wi-Fi.
- Mid-range: Palais de Mahe offers an ambient setting with reliable internet.
- Luxury: La Villa offers high-end facilities and excellent Wi-Fi.
Café/Coworking Spaces: Café des Arts is a favorite among digital nomads for its fast Wi-Fi and peaceful atmosphere.
Must-see Attractions: A visit to the Aurobindo Ashram and a walk along the Promenade Beach are highly recommended.
Hidden Gems: Serenity Beach is less crowded and a perfect spot for sunset views.
Known for its lush greenery and wildlife, Wayanad is a nature lover’s paradise. This is a great place to spend during monsoon. The cool climate and serene environment make it perfect for a workation.
Distance from Bangalore: Approximately 280 km
How to Reach: The best way to reach is by car or bus. The nearest railway station is Kozhikode, from where you can take a taxi or bus.
- Budget: Wayanad Wind Resorts offers simple amenities but reliable Wi-Fi.
- Mid-range: Petals Resorts Wayanad provides a good balance of comfort and connectivity.
- Luxury: Vythiri Village Resort is a high-end option with impeccable Wi-Fi.
Café/Coworking Spaces: Earth Bowl Café provides a relaxed setting with strong Wi-Fi.
Must-see Attractions: The Edakkal Caves and Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary are must-visits.
Hidden Gems: Lakkidi View Point offers stunning views and fewer crowds.
Known for its pristine beaches and laid-back atmosphere, Gokarna is a great destination for those looking to combine work with leisure. I love working from the beach cafes; the views here are just perfect.
Distance from Bangalore: Approximately 490 km
How to Reach: Direct buses are available, or you can take a train to Ankola and then a short taxi ride.
- Budget: Hostelavie Gokarna offers a budget-friendly stay with decent Wi-Fi.
- Mid-range: Kudle Beach View Resort provides a sea view along with reliable internet.
- Luxury: SwaSwara Wellness Retreat offers top-notch facilities and strong Wi-Fi.
Café/Coworking Spaces: Café 1987 is well-known for its strong Wi-Fi and a variety of coffee and snacks.
Must-see Attractions: A visit to Mahabaleshwar Temple and the Om Beach is a must.
Hidden Gems: Half Moon Beach is a less crowded beach perfect for a peaceful work session.
Each of these places offers something unique, making them ideal spots for a workation near Bangalore. Whether you’re a nature lover, a history buff, or someone who loves the beach, there’s a spot for you.
Chikmagalur is a tranquil hill station located in the Western Ghats. It’s the ideal place for a workation if you’re looking to combine productivity with peace and natural beauty. The region is known for its lush coffee plantations and misty hills that can help inspire and recharge you. On work breaks you can hike up the scenic Mullayanagiri range.
Distance from Bangalore: About 245 km
How to Reach: The best way to reach Chikmagalur from Bangalore is by road, usually a 4-5 hour drive. While there are no direct trains, you can take a train to Kadur and then hire a taxi for the remaining 40 km.
- Budget: Zostel Chikmagalur offers strong wifi connectivity.
- Mid-range: The Serai offers a cozy and comfortable setting, along with dependable Wi-Fi.
- Luxury: Trivik Hotels & Resorts, equipped with all modern amenities including high-speed Wi-Fi.
Café/Coworking Spaces: The Coffee Barn Cafe is a local favorite for strong coffee and stronger Wi-Fi.
Must-see Attractions: Mullayanagiri Range offers breathtaking views and short trails that are perfect for work breaks.
Hidden Gems: Jhari Waterfalls is a secluded spot ideal for some quiet time.
This UNESCO World Heritage site is not just an architectural marvel but also a great workation spot. It offers the perfect balance between historical richness and modern amenities. The beachside cafes offer inspiring views for a focused work setup.
Distance from Bangalore: About 346 km
How to Reach: You can take a train to Chengalpattu and then a local bus or taxi to Mahabalipuram, or directly drive which takes around 6-7 hours.
- Budget: Sea Breeze Hotel offers decent Wi-Fi services for the budget traveler.
- Mid-range: Chariot Beach Resort has reliable Wi-Fi and scenic beach views.
- Luxury: InterContinental Chennai Mahabalipuram Resort offers luxury amenities including high-speed Wi-Fi.
Café/Coworking Spaces: Moonrakers is a popular café among digital nomads for its reliable Wi-Fi.
Must-see Attractions: The Group of Sanctuaries is a walking distance away and great for short breaks to admire ancient architecture.
Hidden Gems: The Mahabalipuram Lighthouse offers panoramic views of the town and is generally less crowded.
Kodaikanal, also known as the “Princess of Hill Stations,” offers misty cliffs, cloud-capped mountains, and lush forests. If you’re looking to be enveloped by nature as you work, this is the place.
Distance from Bangalore: About 465 km
How to Reach: Direct buses are available from Bangalore, or you can take a train to Kodaikanal Road railway station and then a taxi to the hill station. The train journey can take around 8-9 hours, and the taxi will take an additional 2 hours.
- Budget: Kodai Resort Hotel offers free Wi-Fi and comfortable rooms.
- Mid-range: Sterling Kodai Lake has a good Wi-Fi connection and beautiful lake views.
- Luxury: The Carlton offers a premium stay experience with high-speed Wi-Fi.
Café/Coworking Spaces: Café Cariappa is known for its strong Wi-Fi and equally strong coffee.
Must-see Attractions: Pillar Rocks are easy to visit and offer a dramatic landscape that’s perfect for a short break.
Hidden Gems: Mannavanur Lake is less crowded and offers a serene environment to disconnect for a while.
Workation Tips Near Bangalore
Before you set off on your workation, it’s essential to be well-prepared, particularly when it comes to internet connectivity and workspaces. Here are some specific tips based on my years of experience:
How to Ensure Reliable Wi-Fi
1. Directly Contact the Hosts: Don’t just rely on the listings. It’s always a good idea to write to the hosts and inquire about the Wi-Fi speed. Look at how quickly they respond and whether they can provide specific speed metrics.
2. Ask for Assurances: Some hosts go the extra mile by offering to sort out any connectivity issues you might have, including providing hotspots.
3. Airbnb Filters: Use the ‘dedicated workspace’ and ‘free wifi’ filters on Airbnb to find accommodations that suit your work requirements.
4. Booking.com Flexibility: On Booking.com, most reservations can be canceled almost up until your day of arrival. This gives you the flexibility to change your plans if you find another place with better Wi-Fi.
Inquire About the Desk: If a dedicated workspace is crucial for you, make sure to ask the host about it. Dimensions, comfort, and proximity to power outlets can all make a significant difference to your productivity.
Be mindful of the climate of your chosen destination. To help you plan, refer to my comprehensive post on the best times to visit India’s most popular destinations.
By taking these steps, you ensure that your workation is both productive and enjoyable. With the accommodations I’ve listed, you can be pretty sure of good Wi-Fi, but it’s always better to double-check. Happy workationing!
Read more: Best Workations in Kerala
Frequently Asked Questions About Workation Near Bangalore
Is Bangalore a Good Place to Live and Work?
Absolutely, Bangalore is often dubbed as the “Silicon Valley of India” due to its booming IT industry, startup culture, and vibrant community of professionals. The city offers excellent infrastructure, a cosmopolitan lifestyle, and plenty of opportunities for career growth. It’s also known for its moderate climate, green spaces, and a wide range of dining and entertainment options, making it an attractive place to live and work.
Where is the Best Place to Work from Home in Karnataka?
If you’re looking to escape the hustle and bustle of Bangalore but still stay within Karnataka, there are plenty of options for a productive workation. Here are a few suggestions:
- Coorg: Known for its lush green landscapes, Coorg offers a serene backdrop for your work. Many homestays here provide strong Wi-Fi, making it an ideal spot to work from.
- Mysore: Rich in history and culture, Mysore offers a quieter setting compared to Bangalore. The city has various co-working spaces and cafes that are well-suited for remote work.
- Chikmagalur: Nestled in the foothills of the Mullayanagiri range, Chikmagalur is great if you’re looking for a cool and calm environment to work in. Many homestays offer good internet connectivity amid the natural surroundings.
Each of these locations offers something unique, making Karnataka a versatile state for anyone looking to undertake a workation.
Embarking on a workation near Bangalore is more than just a change of scenery; it’s a transformative blend of productive work and immersive travel experiences.
For those in search of green landscapes, Coorg’s Jungle Greens Homestay offers not only a lush setting but also dependable Wi-Fi. If cultural richness appeals to you, consider Mysore’s The Green Hotel, which provides strong Wi-Fi along with a dedicated workspace. For those looking to splurge, Taj West End in Bangalore offers a luxury experience complete with high-speed internet and other top-tier amenities.
From my own personal experience, working near Bangalore has been a breath of fresh air. Escaping the hustle and bustle of a major city allows for a more focused work environment, and Karnataka offers this in abundance. The people here are exceptionally welcoming, and the state itself is home to some of India’s most beautiful landscapes.
So, if you have the flexibility to work remotely, why not take full advantage of it?
In summary, a workation near Bangalore can offer the ideal blend of work and leisure, giving you the opportunity to explore new places while staying productive. With the right planning and a little bit of adventure, your workation can turn into an enriching life experience.